Scholarships & Bursaries
Study Abroad Scholarships
Scholarship Opportunities for OCDSB High School Students in 2016-2017:
- Open to students enrolled in OCDSB high schools. Scholarships available through Student Travel School, Inc. are in collaboration with the Ottawa-Carleton Education Network (OCENET) and the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board (OCDSB).
- There will be 20 scholarships available within the OCDSB for the 2016-2017 academic year.
- Destination countries include Austria, Brazil, China, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, USA.
- The amount of the scholarships vary: $700 CAD for a two month program, $1,000 CAD for a three month program, $1,500 CAD for a five month program, $2,000 CAD for a ten month program. Please see list of scholarship options along with applicable countries attached to this application form. The amount of the scholarship will be taken off the cost of the exchange.
- Note that the fees include flights between Montreal to the exchange destination.
- The duration of the exchange is between 2 to 10 months depending on student selections.
- Students will live with a host family and attend a local school. Program participation assumes that the Canadian student’s family will also host an exchange student in the home for a minimum of 5 months.
- It is recommended that students be in grade 10 or 11 during the 2016-2017 school year. Students are expected to discuss their plans for completing any work required for their credit courses or to consider alternatives for necessary courses with guidance departments/teachers well in advance of participation on any exchange program.
- Recommendation from the School Principal (signature on form) and two letters of reference (at least one letter from someone in the school community) are required.
Applications will be also available through your school's Student Services Department or www.ocenet.ca
Additional details are available by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
A completed application form and all supporting documents must be submitted by
Friday, December 18, 2015 at 4 p.m. to the attention of:
Mr. Constantine Ioannou, Program Director, Ottawa International Projects and Exchanges, OCENET, Room E123B, Ottawa, Ontario, K1R 5B5.
Faxes are accepted at 613-239-0494.
- All complete applications will be evaluated by a team of educators according to an application evaluation rubric which assesses the following:
- The applicant’s commitment and enthusiasm for the study abroad experience;
- The applicant’s awareness of the skills necessary to adapt to a new cultural environment;
- The applicant’s intention to use the experience to enhance personal and academic goals.
- Students who are accepted for a scholarship will be informed by February 2016.
- Students who accept the offer of a scholarship will be required to complete an application through STS (Student Travel Schools Inc.). The information of all applicants will be provided to STS for the administration and organization of the exchange program details.
- Students who receive a scholarship will be required to consult with their school guidance counselor to review course selections suitable for the semester in which they will be overseas. Students wanting to apply for any exchange program will need to consult guidance counsellors and teachers about course work that is required before and while they are away, as well as upon their return and to be clear about their options for courses needed by them.